Friday, January 4, 2013

Winter Surf Fishing at Bolsa Chica State Beach

Over this past winter break I spent a lot of time at the beach. I camped at Bolsa Chica state beach from December 22 to January 4 and everyday I went fishing. The first few days I went fishing early in the morning and the typical winter surf fishing catch manifested. Winter surf fishing catches, at Bolsa Chica State Beach, usually consists of small and sometimes VERY small barred surf perch.
Typical Surf Perch Caught

Fortunately, as I continued to fish each day, the fishing got better. My dad caught a one pound yellow fin croaker and we both caught some very nice sized barred surf perch. Some walleye surf perch even found their way on my hook which was a first for me in huntington beach.
This is a walleye surf perch
The conditions at Bolsa Chica beach were cold and windy. The waters were rough and the tides were climbing and falling steeply. These conditions support the previous hypothesis that winter surf fishing is miserable and poor. The difference this winter from last was the presence of trenches that were observable from shore at the middle and high point of the tide. Great surf fishing seems to depend most on structural presence than it does other conditions. Fishing the rising tide was better than the falling tide. This past trip has shown me what I don't know. All that I do know for sure is that I will be back very soon to fish Bolsa Chica this winter.

Brandon Lynch

No comments:

Post a Comment