Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Discovery

There is a beach between Huntington Beach and Bolsa Chica in Southern California called "Dog Beach", or as some might often refer to it, Huntington Cliffs. The name "Dog Beach" comes from the fact that dogs are allowed to be walked on the beach! So one summer day when my dad and I were walking my dog at Dog Beach I decided to bring a fishing pole. To my surprise, that day, I caught 5 medium sized surf perch in only one hour!

I was extremely excited by this because every other time I had gone fishing at our local beaches I would catch little to none! So what was different this time?

The topography of this beach was very important to my success. This beach is along cliffs and the sand is often very steep. This steep sand bank causes a trench to form about 5-20 feet from the berm line. In addition, few people swim in the water at this beach for lack of parking and the fact that it is a "dog's beach" (which isn't really topography but I feel it was important).

The biology of this beach is also significant. Far out in the ocean there are oil rigs and an area between them called "Huntington Flats", which is a common place for charter boats to go fishing. Beyond the break out in the ocean you can observe pelicans, dolphins, and sea lions hunting. In addition to this, millions (seriously... MILLIONS), of sand crabs take residence at this beach.

Between the biology and the geography of this beach, it was no wonder that the fishing was fantastic. It is no surprise to you that I went back once a week every week that summer for more fantastic surf fishing.

Dog Beach at low tide (notice few people are swimming)



Next post will be about surf fishing gear which proved extremely important to success as well.

-Brandon Lynch-
enormedjules@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. I've never been fishing, but I have been to the beaches you've mentioned. Huntington Beach is definitely my favorite! I do notice that not many humans swim in the waters of Dog Beach; usually dogs dominate this area! It's a really great place for dog lovers. I'm glad you included a picture of this location. What types of fish have you caught? Have you fished on the pier of Huntington Beach before?
    I would try to make the blog flow more, but overall, I like it! It has a personal feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea for a blog considering there are many beaches for us to learn about. I love going to the beach, even though fishing might not be one of the things I'm great at I would love to know what beaches would help me get more fish! I'd like to know how accessible that area is and just exactly where is this dog beach and what is the best way to get there. I love the conversational tone in this post and it feels very down to earth.
    I think it would be a good idea to change the background so it fits the tone of maybe fishing and to add more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should I ever decide to go fishing, I will definitely take your advice because it seems like you know a lot about fishing, or at least to know where and why to go fishing. I like how you included names of places you went to fish, rather than just say you go fishing because it adds a good feeling to your post. It helps us imagine where you go fishing, and puts us in your place.

    I had no idea that the area that you fished in mattered so much. From the measurements of the water area to the city that you are in, there are so many different possibilities for fishing. I like how you tell us about your experience fishing and what kind of fish you caught because it supports your statement that the area you fish in contributes to your success in catching fish.

    ReplyDelete